Monday, November 16, 2009

Mojo and Squash Chips

I lost my scrapping mojo for a while. Thought it would never come back. I would look at paper and ask myself what is so great about scrapping. It's just paper. The problem is I am not allowed to quit scrapping. That cannot occur, while I am sitting with sixteen cubic feet of gorgeous, lickable pattern paper. I started cleaning. Not in hopes of quitting scrapbooking. I just needed to get in control of what I have. Honestly, this could take a year. I did manage to go through all my paper and donated a load to a local preschool. I am now down to one cube of paper. I feel naked. It's quite liberating. HA! Whatever you do...do NOT imagine that image.

With the liberating I found a little scrap mojo.

The following two were done with the November Studio Calico Kit. I dragged out the typewriter I received when I graduated high school. Yeah cool....I'm old. Do they even make typewriters anymore or do scrappers only find them in old relatives basements or at antique shops?




A few layouts for the One Year baby scrapbook that I am making my cousin. These will always be very simple layouts with no or little journaling. I am keeping it blank, so she can write in it. I just have to say that my Baby Cousin is adorable. OK...I can say that without sounding like an uppity braggart, because: 1) it is true; and 2) it's true. ;o)

Finally, Barb had a recipe challenge on her Cook. Eat. Repeat? blog. Use squash. Ugh. OK...I don't eat squash, but I like recipes, I like challenges and I like Barb. As usual, I waited until the last minute to attempt my challenge. I was going to make this recipe: Spinach and Butternut Squash Lasagna . The photo in the issue of Cooking Light made it look scrumptious - even with the spinach and squash. Anyway...that didn't happen, because I started making my recipe three hours before deadline. Instead, I made squash chips from a recipe I dreamed about. True. I dream recipes. Here it is:

Cut a butternut squash in half without chopping off your fingers. Use a spoon to remove the seeds. Use a vegetable peeler and remove peel. All the while complain that squash smells gross like pumpkins. Dig out the three year old unused mandolin you bought from Pampered Chef. Learn how to use it. With mandolin over bowl cut the squash into approximately 1/8" thick slices. When done sprinkler with vegetable oil. Lay slices in a single layer on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. You may not need to use the spray, but I wasn't sure and didn't want it to stick. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Here's where I went a little wrong. I didn't watch them and burned a portion. Oh well. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until crispy.

The result: Num. That is coming from a non-squash eater, so trust me it is good. Sweeter than a potato chip. Similar in taste to sweet potato fries, but in crispy chip form. The other 1/2 of the squash will be used to make more.

I missed the deadline, but thought I would share anyway. Here's a photo of the unburned ones:

If I fail to check in before Thanksgiving, I wish you a very a very happy day surrounded by family, friends and delicious food. Maybe a squash chip or two. :o)

6 comments:

Nicole said...

Denise, i have GOT to meet you in person some day, because the voice i hear in my head cracks me up...so in person i know you would be even better :)

and the fact that you attempted squash makes you a hero in my book...people really eat that stuff, lol?!

mborrero said...

cool stuff..

aimee said...

LOVE those layouts!!! how freakin cute is he!!! squash...um...i'll pass but i bet liz would eat some

Larajc said...

Love your layouts! You crack me up and I know how the losing hte mojo is...lickable paper...hahaha...for sure. I am hoping to get a little mojo.Heading to the Scrapbook shop Friday night for some inspiration...hope to have some.

Dawn said...

Love me some squash. Yum! Oh and those LO's...yum, yum, yum!!! :0)

Barb said...

I never in a million years would have thought to make squash into chips. Everything tastes better in chip form, right?

Did you consider chocolate covered squash chips?